

Ooh Lalaa
Yup, check out the picture above. Its Latin Ballroom Dancesport (which includes the Cha-cha, Samba, Rumba, Jive, Pase Doble)............Now thats what I'm talking about.
Have decided to go for it, since its something that I've always yearned to learn, having watched my cousin taking part in the Dancesport competition at Blackpool several years ago. I remember sitting at the benches, watching from the upper balcony with my eyes peeled to what was going on the dancefloor, awestruck by the way the couples moved, swayed and sizzled. Their tanned and glazed lithe bodies locked in brief positions before advancing into the next step sequence. How they polished each strut with much artistry, poise and energy, it kinda made me want to get up and groove as well.
Along the subsequent years since I last stepped into my ballet flats, I took a break from dancing and skating and diverted my interest towards racket games like tennis and pingpong instead. I knew I missed dancing and skating, and I withheld that desire, for a substantial period of time. It got particularly poignant whenever memories resurfaced, especially while watching movies that had a choreographed dance segment in it. Yup, I am a big fan of movies which incorporate any element or any type dance, having watched or maybe memorized movies many many times. Check out the all time faves below:
Classic tap-dancing oldies: Singing in the Rain, Funny Face
Cheerleading bubblegum pop dances: Bring it On, High School Musical
Hiphop numbers: Honey, Save the last dance, J-Lo's/Michael Jackson/Rain (Bi)'s music videos
Ballroom dancing films: Dirty Dancing Havanna Nights, Step Up, Take the Lead, Shall we dance, Innocent Steps
But one thing held me back from taking up the dancesport. I was afraid. Squeamishly chickened. BWAHAHAH.....and why was I afraid to begin with?Truthfully speaking, its the unspoken and yet known issues behind the dance, the gyrating moves, the pelvic thrusts movements which draw out a female's sensuality and sexuality. Being brazenly flirtatious sexy and passionate, contrasting to the supposed "christian" image of unblemished chastity and upright modesty. See my dilemma there?
Plus the fact that I'm ultra-sensitive when it comes to allowing others to physically touch me......let alone the fact that latin ballroom champions inevitably get a little cosy with their partners while executing brisk turns, quick spins, while expressing heightened emotion......erm.....slightly uncomfortable there.
but oh what the heck! I love grooving......and I have many closet hallway no-one's-looking experiences to justify this passion. Ahem!
If you love dancing, you'd understand my position. How it once felt to be light on the feet, to be athletically nimble yet alluringly graceful, to stir up emotions or gasps from the audience, to make people stop, stare and hold their breath. Dance is beautiful. Powerful and captivating. An art in itself, just like music, literature, drawing & painting etc.
Sadly, dance hasnt really had the best image of all times. Its really sad to see when some folks take dancing to another level, cheapening the fine art by the sleaziness of pole dancing in strip tease clubs. Or when figure-conscious dancers obsessed with the measurement of their thighs and waistlines, become victims of eating disorders like anorexia nervosa or bulimia.
So after all this I-hate-people-touching-me and sleazy-versus-artistry debate, I finally did sign up for latin ballroom dancing lessons. (Yeah Baby!)I reasoned, that as long as I kept an upright and disciplined attitude towards it, it was alright to pick up those sashay moves (and let me stress) in the light of being a performer.
Anyhows, I had my first lesson, and its not that simple either. Nevertheless, I'm thoroughly enjoying it. No regrets there.
So if you're thinking that ballroom dancing is for flamboyant air-headed sluts who dress skimpily and love shaking their asses against gay skinny men in tight spandex suits.....I dont blame you....Just remember though, that its a passion and that some folks take it very seriously as an art.
No comments:
Post a Comment