Now just for the record, I know that everytime I fly back to Singapore on my summer/winter break, I have 2 BIG daunting questions to answer.
- Have you lost weight/put on weight?
- Do you have a boyfriend...yet?
The first question is often more of statement, put in a questionable tone. My mom would be blunt and tell me to go on the weighing scale. My dad, on the other hand, says nothing at all. His bemused facial expression reveals his thoughts, "Why you keep becoming fatter and fatter?"
My aunts are less direct and more subtle. They ask me, "It must be very in Glasgow right? You eat alot over there?" or "We go to the country club gym every saturday afternoon you know, You can join us if you want. We come and fetch you."
I cringe everytime we have weekend sunday dinners at my place. Much as I love to spend time hanging out with my cousins (as I rarely get to do so when I'm overseas), I am consciously abashed by the fact that my body is being under constant scrutinization by "Everyone", who are really just my blood relatives. It doesn't help the fact that I keep getting picked on by comments of comparison to my skinny bean-pole siblings.
Larger than life? oh damn.
I look around and observe people dieting around me. OK, when I mean "dieting", I'm referring to those guilty of subconsciously estimating the calorie content of foods they have eaten, worrying at the thought of puting on weight after a hearty meal and exercise after giving in to that sinful piece of chocolate cake. They have placed so much emphasis on weight and their appearance that it practically clouds their subconscious mind without them realizing it. Don't get me wrong, I do believe that a good diet is essential for maintaining a healthy body weight. I'm just totally against the thought of not being able to enjoy food because the guilty thought of gaining weight subconsciously holds me back.
In fact, you would probably be in shock if I showed you a picture of me now and then (when I was 16). Back then, I was one of those guilty ones who gave much thought about food, exercise and weight that I couldn't enjoy eating or working out. I was trying to hard to be "uber-healthy" that my thoughts and actions were unconsciously moulded into the "must-eat-healthy and chocolate-is-bad-for-you" mindset. Eating became an unfulfilled craving and desire to be exercised with discipline. Working out was such a tire-some chore that served as punishment for slip-ups and indulgences. And as I look back and think about those years when my mind was disillusioned by the desire to be uber-healthy, I realized that I've been my own vortex, sucking the fun and happiness out of life's greatest blessings.
I used to secretly laugh at fat people because I thought they were lazy, immobile and gluttony. Never did it occur to me that I would eventually become one of those victims who got teased about their weight. The bottom line is, people become fat for a reason. Neglected obese kids whose parents are constantly not at home to be mindful of their diet, depressed people who feed on thoughts of self-loathing and insecurity, athletes/dancers who ''retire'' after years of intense training and controlled eating, couch potatoes who munch away at their desktops because they rather check their Friendster accounts than see the real world out there. (Currently, I have an inactive Friendster account...haha!) I don't think the list ends there. When vulnerable beings feel that no one is there to comfort encourage or reassure them, they take it out on themselves. I guess this experience helps me to empathize with more plump folk out there.
To answer my aunts, I just simply shrug and reply " I enjoy what I eat". Nevertheless, I still face the daunting prospect of answering that bloody question whenever I fatten up in UK and fly back to Singapore.
"Do you have a boyfriend.........(pause)..........yet?" is more often intepreted as why haven't you found yourself a bloke? To all my lovely aunties out there, why I do not have a boyfriend is completely my own business. I'm sorry to put it that way, but its really between me and God.
A boyfriend is not like some tag or label you attach to your chest to proclaim your status and availability. Neither is it an acessory on you arm to show the world that yes, I have matured and I am loved by at least somebody.
As our society perceives it, a single man or women has hasnt been in a relationship is either unattractive in one way or inactive. If you are unattractive, you are usually
1) not body-perfect
2) just not drop dead gorgeous
3) have some annoying/unappealing trait/characteristic that puts people off
There are also cynics out there who absorb themselves in their work and leave no time and opportunity for relationships. And I'm actually one of those cynics who use lame excuses to cover up for their fear of being rejected.
I know that I am, in some aspects, unattractive and incomplete and imperfect. But doesn't that apply to the most gorgeous girl out there? We're not perfect remember?
I feel that at this point in my life, I'm returning to God closer step by step each day. Getting into a relationship may distract me from climbing up that ladder. I believe that this period of singlehood is crucial for God to groom me into someone more mature (hopefully). After all, aren't solid relationships supposed to be enhancing towards God? If I throw myself into the arms of a boyfriend, I know that I would be tempted to rely on him more emotionally, instead of God. This is so easily done without most of us realizing it.
I have decided that I don't want to go out with someone on a Friday night because I have to do something to look occupied. I don't want to be kissed in order to feel particularly pretty or sexy. I don't want someone to cuddle me in order to feel truly loved. I don't want someone to buy me presents or whisper sweet-nothings in my ear because I simply can't live without his reassurance that I am on his mind. In other words, I don't want an intense but short-lived infatuation to break my heart and turn me away from God,
Its not like I'm some independent superwoman rah-rah who can fight her own battles without the aid of her bystanding prince charming. I'm not. Neither do I want to be a wailing damsel in distress who needs her knight-in-shining-armour to come galloping down the hills at the mere instance of a difficult situation. No way. I guess my ideals are kinda different because my outlook on relationships are heavily influenced by a different concept of love. Not the kinda cute puppy love you read about in celebrity tabloids or the ''idealized'' romance you see in Hollywood films.
Follow-up question: ''So what kinda guys do you like?''................
Its easy to recite a list of attributes such
Tall (at least taller than Tom Cruise)
good-looking (maybe not as hunky-licious as Brad Pitt, but at least better looking than Gollum)
witty and intellectual (preferably a doctor/lawyer/engineer etc)
fun and spontaneous (not dull, conventionally boring and oh-so predictable)
blah blah blah (I just made this list up...hehe)
But sticking to my different concept of love, it can only mean that my heart goes out to someone who encourages me to read the bible, not to impress him, but Him. Someone who encourages me to go to church because I want to seek God and not because its a Sunday routine. Someone to remind me to pray for all things in life so that I can be grateful and appreciative. Someone to lend a supporting arm, not a shoulder, to help me when the path in life gets rocky. Someone who can empathize similar situations as we run the race towards Christhood. Someone who does actions rather than words. In essence, someone who loves God more than me or anything else
I know that list seems rather long and picky, but there you go, thats my criteria/so-called list. I definetely had crushes, in fact numerous :P But as for the lovely guys and blokes I've met so far, I can't honestly say I felt anything like the list mentioned above.
There is still an undeniable temptation to go out and get attached whenever I say couples around me being in utter bliss and contentment. Especially on valentines day. Man! the message that you should be attached rubs so hard in my face.
Sometimes, I question myself, do I really want to be this fussy/picky? Maybe being this fussy makes the ultimate prize more meaningful. Plus, getting in and out of relationships is just too tiring and time-consuming. So as much as I am tempted to jump into a relationship just to make myself feel more ''desirable'', I stand firmly on my ground with my so-called list of criteria.
To all those (annoying) aunties who question me as to why I'm not attached....(yet), I guess I will reply "because God is still preparing me and hasn't shown him to me............(yet)"
oh yeah!
Note: This entry was written way back in 2004 during those hormone-raging days of 18. I re-edited some parts but kept the teen-angst essence in it! Just thought I'd post something you might enjoy reading :)
6 comments:
haha Aw. mature lil 18 yr-old. you tell them sister!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so proud of you standing up for yourself.
just yesterday me my mum n dad were saying how pretty you are.
PS: you are a CATCH. right now - for everyday you stay unnattached your price is going up. haha.
PPS: haven't u had ur fair share of admirers???
yo! i always enjoy reading your blogs. well, the fact is, chinese families have nothing better to talk about than your weight and who your latest fling is. i used to be very annoyed when i encountered such questions and comments. but nowadays i think, well, they really love me and wanna talk to moi but they don't really have anything else to talk to me about. and if they don't ask about these superficial things, what else is there to talk about? because we aren't friends and talking with them on the same level as i talk with friends is just impossible. so, i just let them get away with it.
when i went back to glasgow for christmas break we were having dinner at wayne's house and his mom decided to talk about me and she kept saying embarrassing stuff like "oh you're living in london now and you've become more leng-jiy how do you do it?" and then she went on about my skin used to be really bad and all that stuff but now i look good (apparently. i honestly don't think i'm that good looking). anyway just being sarcastic i replied that "maybe it's london air , london water, maybe it's maybelline" (well, i didn't say the maybelline bit). lol.
btw i don't think you're fat. the last time i saw you anyway. i think you are correct, and seriously i couldn't imagine you being skinny like these hk/s'porean skinnies. you know, in a weird way, a long time ago i was so into working out and although i thought i looked better having put on weight, some of my old friends still said they prefer me skinny.... right.
an inactive friendster? that's right, facebook is the in, albeit overrated thing, thing now! why haven't you got it???
hmm... who's this "anonymous" commenter? i thought the whole point of this new site was to disallow anonymous ppl?
and i think 90% of guys out there are better looking than Gollum. you sure spoilt for choice. c'mon, you should raise your standard!!! haha!!!
MISSUS!!!!!
You have not yet replied a single one of my e-mails.. where are yooooooou????????!!! :'(
And also.. i just re-found your blog again... reading this entry, I was agreeing with you most of the way through.. until you got the the bit where you wrote that you were 18 when you wrote it... :s I feel like that now! Although, do you never feel that it seems time has stood a bit static since we started uni? I feel that I haven't changed at all since I was 18, not grown up.. nothing.. Probably if anything I'm weirder than I was when we started uni!
I HATE it when they bring up - "why is there no boyfriend!?" or when my mum calls me "da pang tou"... grr In fact, she said to me the other day that my grandmother.. who lives in China and we only talk to once a week was asking why I didn't have a boyfriend! It's so stoooopid! Anyways, rant over..
I heard from Ru.. that your daddy and lil bro are over here for a few days! Hope his interview went well!! Come back soooooon... and reply my e-mails!! Or I shall feel rejected! Hope you're keeping the singing alive! :) Lxxxxx
hey stranger ;)
thanks for the compliment! Did I really sound that insecure then?
I wrote this entry in my personal journal during those first year uni days when I was listless, bored and had nothing occupy my time.
I like to save the best for the last ;)
Hey oZ!!
Hows life in London? Wow that was some lengthy encouraging comment! Thanks anyway bud :)
Yeah I agree with you, I kinda realized that deep down, my aunties really do care, it just gets a tad annoying when they keep rubbing the issue in without realizing how sensitive it is for insecure folk like moi! Haha I loved ur Maybelline joke, you should have said that (!!) Did you change your hairstyle or smthg? I haven't seen you in ages!
Like yourself, I get ticked off when people make comments on how I suddenly ''dress up and look more vain''. I guess they normally visualize you wearing a certain style, and when you suddenly decide to spice things up abit, they are not used to seeing you dolling up in a certain manner, and hence the cynicism. It really doesn't hurt to pay a compliment does it? haha, oh well! blame the typical inexpressive chinese culture.....
Its a universal truth. All girls are actually (VERY) sensitive about their looks and weight. And this is actually one of the rare occassions you hear me openly whining about my size and weight. Hehe. To be honest, I don't think anyone (myself included) will ever be truly satisfied with the way they are made (ie. weight, shape, physical features, talents, abilities blah blah...). Though saying this, I'm constantly struggling and learning to be content with what I've been blessed with, occasionally forcing myself to focus on more unseen, intangible and eternal things ;)
I have a friendster account which I check annually. I really can't be arsed with Facebook, hence deleted my account shortly my friends persuaded me to start one.
Hope things are alright with you!
Hey LOverboy!!!!!!
did u email my hotmail? I forgot to say that I hardly check my hotmail nowadays...more of gmail. so sorry hun! My bad!
check your email :)
Hugs
- u r not fat
- sometimes even if u are the prettiest girl inside, u can be so ugly inside
- and i think u are veryyyyyyyy pretty inside
xx
Post a Comment