These nitwits have created the perfect drug to keep me obsessionally hooked onto, making it incredibly difficult to stop once I've started a novel in a series/trilogy. Grrr.....
And no, I have not read a huge number of magical fantasy fiction novels. Having read a few best-sellers here and there, I still have not tasted the remaining fantasy fiction literature on the bookshelves at Borders/Kinokuniya. Can you believe it? On that note, I imagine it would be absolutely wonderful to have a truckload of fantasy fiction books delivered right up to my doorstep so that I could be occupied and locked up in my room in pure isolation for a good number of days.
Having just completed the The Black Magician Trilogy within 3 days (using opportune moments on subway, train journey, during lunch and toilet breaks and before bed), I was left feeling utterly deflated and emotionally wrecked. It was the same kind of feeling I had after I completed Harry Potter and Chronicles of Narnia. Sigh........there is often an ambivalent feeling of contentment knowing that good guys will have their happy ending while the baddies will be banished for the rest of eternity and an ebbing feeling of unwillingness to reach the conclusion of the story, wishing there was more. And more and more and never-endingly more. I'm reccommending this series if to anyone who needs a escapist kinda literary treat. The plot is well-crafted, building up from an initially somewhat boring and predictable beginning to an unexpected and agonizing twist towards the end. And unlike most stereotyped fairy tales where a good character is indefinetely pure and good at heart, this author imparts a sense of reality to her characters, making the heroes imperfect and flawed. Maybe thats what made it so good?
I won't spoil the ending for potential readers out there :)
but could Someone pass me a box of tissues please? *sob..................
No comments:
Post a Comment