Saturday, August 11, 2007

Dirty Dancing = the Rumba?

OK its time to write a heartfelt and insightful post of the recent events thats been happening lately. Coz I'm a girl, so I'm definetely in touch with my Emo. emoootions.
Before reading this post, check this video out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzNS4_cZYTc&mode=related&search=

I had a few classes picking up latin ballroom dancing, and I absolutely love it. Loving it to the extent that I'm seriously hoping (and praying!) that this newfound love won't become a second addiction. But so far, I've picked up basic outlines of the Cha cha and Jive, so right now, my instructor is teaching me the Rumba. Rumba? Its not a derivative of rum or tequila, but it is essentially one of the 5 latin dance types, the one that emphasizes slow, sensual movements interspersed between quick spins and turns; the dance of passion, yes.........the Rumba.

Funnily enough, the Rumba was initially the dance that I least looked forward to. Because I knew it was slow, and romantically
sensual........and in my humble and honest opinion, most latin dancers look like they are experiencing some kinda lung-bursting orgasm when they contort their faces, overwhelmed with "eros" emotion. Well, I'm just being quite forthright and honest there. :P
Orgasm? U decide
*See my earlier post on the insecurities that hindered me from taking up Latin Ballroom.

Instead, I was rather keen on learning energetic jumpy-jumpy latin disciplines like Jive or Samba. The most ironic twist was that it took me quite a while to get into the swingin beat
s of the Jive. Whereas for the Rumba, I picked up that "feeling" kinda instinctively. That provocative oh-I'm-so-sexy feeling. It felt oddly natural whenever I stretched each strut. See why my flatmates call me Hot Mama now? Just kidding...LOL ;) On a realistic note, I'm sure theres still a long way to go before I actually master the sway of the Rumba. Loooooooong way, considering the fact that most serious dancers train for years before attaining a certain standard and compete in acclaimed events.
And, I didnt burst out laughing from all the orgasmic facial expressions, as I imagined I would. I got away with this because I kept a stern and inexpressive face throughout the routine. Not surprisingly, my instructor berated me and told me not to be embarrassed about acting "sexy". Gagaga....Well
there!
Anyhoos...
Warning: *insecurity alert!*
I wonder though, if people would see me in a different light after I pick up latin ballroom dance.
And because I often get mistaken for a 16 year old, thanks to my gullible-looking baby face, I'm sure people might even gawk or frown in astoundment if they ever saw a fresh-faced teeny-bopper lookalike dancing like some female fatale. Too young and precocious? I really have no idea man.
Furthermore, it really doesn't help the fact that most female ballroom dancers tend to be scantily clad in bare bits of threads and sequins. For which, I feel that the choice and design of most costumes are highly debatable here, given the obvious, its has always been an autonomous choice for the dancer, who may choose to bare her back/bum with a skimpy number. Show some skin and possibly score more points with the judges? Maybe.....If I can ever get past t
he level of confidence to be comfortable in flaunting my own skin!

Was chatting to Sarah about this the other day........about my uncanny affinity towards all the bitchy sports. I mean, take a look at what the typical attire was:

1) Figure skating (for all their super short and tight dresses)

2) Chinese dance (ok, that was a tad more conservative but for some costumes we had to bare our midriff!)
3)Ballet (took it up for a while, and for most sessions we had to wear just a form-fitting one piece leotard with stockings just to cover the legs. I'm thankful that I wasnt born a male...LOL)

and now the ever so promiscuous latin-dance..
Hmmmm...........

2 comments:

Sarah Li said...

dont be shy to express yourself! -wait till i dance it with brian bet ill be more embarassed- But i guess, it need not be "sexual" or "sexy" in tt sense. my mind just imagines myself dancing with jesus. my love... esp with the waltz! dont worrie about what people think. u know a lot of peeps dont know what latin ballroom actually is about! i spoke to os (quek), he thinks its less "fun" compared to jazz?!? i was like....haha. treasure the last 2 weeks babe, we will miss this back in glasgow! only 3 weeks of dancing left for me as bri is flying off on the 1st *sobz*

mee siam said...

Actually the rumba has a sexual element to it, I really can't deny that...... :D
thanks for the encouragement babe. Better watch out for my orgasmic facial expressions!
lol