Wednesday, August 11, 2010

what makes you Happy?


1) Going for a sweaty heart-pounding Run
I absolutely love being outdoors and in touch with nature. The thought of breathing in the scent of the palm trees infused in the air, feeling the sea breeze caress across my face as I jog along my new neighbourhood, knowing that everyone else is asleep in the quiet dark hours of the morning gives me a invigorating natural pick-me-up before I start off a stressful day at work. Exercise has been a rare privilege these days due to my long working hours and 1-in 4/5 days on call schedule.

2) Being out in the sea/swimming in the ocean
Something about looking across the expanse of blue ocean stretching beyond the horizon and dipping into the salty waters to swim amongst colourful fishes gives me a sense of freedom and wonder about God's infinite creation. Call me a Water Baby, I can't help but reiterate how therapeutic the sea is for me. Possibly due my early childhood exposure to the sea as a young kid, I've always wished I had the time to pick up more water sports like wind surfing, surfing and free-diving, or dive and go sailing more frequently. I've raved about my trip on board a luxury yacht White Rabbit 4 years ago, which has been one of the most exhilarating family holidays I've ever been on. And I can't wait for the same yacht to dock at our Jetty soon!

3) Being able to express my opinions freely
Interestingly so, I think I've tempered down quite abit since starting my job as a houseman. Only because my work has taught me to listen first, choose your words carefully, then speak at the right time. It took a lot of discipline for an impulsive random sputtering person like me!
I recently dug through this archive and re-edited some old posts, re-shuffled some scrappy bits, re-opened an old blog, and started my own version of twitter www.charminglanguage.blogspot.blogspot.com

4) Being in the company of loved ones
Seeking solitude and self-isolation from the world every once in a while can be peaceful and therapeutic, only for a while. Whats the point of staying in a 5 star hotel/resort when you have no one to share that experience with?

5) Re-exploring childhood haunts
We would assemble old card-boxes, bedsheets, books, chairs and tables to create imaginary houses, bike along our neighbourhood to trespass houses in mid-construction, run in the middle of the night to the nearest 7 eleven store for a midnight snack, explore nature reserves and long-kangs (drains) despite the sweltering heat, or even get the random urge to do baking at the oddest hours.

6) Getting connected with other believers
I guess its because I've had the most extra-ordinary conversations with very ordinary people who have unwittingly inspired me with crazy stories about how God has changed their lives.

7) Being able to be creative
One of the gifts I've truly been blessed with and am hoping to use in a big way for God's purpose in my line of work some day. I love coming up with ideas/concepts/creating possibilities/being entrepreneurial.

8) Groovin baby
Swingin' my hair in the wind without giving a care what the world thinks, salsa dancing in skirt and heels, jumping around like a goof-ball, dancing in sync with a totally random stranger, pop-locking out in the open streets can be thoroughly exhilarating! I dance for what I feel and for an image I wish to portray. I strongly believe that we should use Dance as a creative and healthy expression of our inner emotions.

9) Being ignorant*
We tend to be more depressed, stressed, short tempered as we grow up, often to the point that we sometimes forget to take a deep breathe, appreciate the things around us and have some fun. I believe in keeping things with God's perspective. I'm not suggesting that we should shun ourselves from the world and be ignorant of other's needs. But choosing to rest in green pastures once in a while , knowing He is taking care of everything, can truly be bliss if you choose not to be concerned with the trivial and temporal equities in Life.

10) Helping others
I guess this is the one of the strongest reasons why I'm hanging onto my job, which drives me insanely nuts at times. Though the practice of Medicine itself can be occasionally mundane and boring as a routine, I'm thankful for those odd unexpected patients who don't complain despite their discomfort, yet deservingly require your attention . They don't realize that their kind words of appreciation only motivate me to serve them better :)

Now I'm not too hard to please am I? :)

What makes You Happy?

No comments: